Brain Freeze

Working on Saturdays is not conducive to training.  But only having to work a couple of Saturdays per year, serving my time during the winter months (when training is not so critical) is a good trade-off.  Plus I only had to work until 12:00 today.

When I arrived home Sandy had home-made fajitas waiting for me.  They were delicious and I thanked her for the surprise.  The kids were being unusually good so I didn’t enter the house to screaming chaos.  I played with them a bit while letting my food digest.  Around 14:00 I went out for a run.

Knowing the snow wasn’t completely melted I opted for trail shoes again.  My side of town still has some trechereous sidewalks so I was thankful to have some traction.  There was still a bite in the air even though the temperature was in the upper 30’s.  It felt cold to me.  I ended up with 7 miles and a cozy feeling when I got back indoors.  Much better than the treadmill.

Sunday was supposed to be warm.  However the most current forecast put the daytime high (37) at around 15:00.  I didn’t want to wait that long to go riding because it is so hard to get out in the cold the longer you procrastinate.  Plus the Cowboys were playing and noon and I didn’t want to miss any snaps.  Gary’s group was leaving at 10:00 but it was only 28 degrees at 10:00 and I just didn’t want to make a whole day out of it.

So I donned about a 100 layers and left my house around 10:30 in the freezing cold, alone.  It was rather dangerous getting out of my subdivision.  There is still ice and snow on the roads.  Exiting the subdivision I encountered more danger.  Cinders are everywhere.  I don’t know how I managed to ride 20 miles without getting a flat tire but I did.  There is nothing worse than changing a tire with frozen hands.

The wind speed felt moderate to me.  But the wind chill was FREEZING.  The first 30 minutes were miserable.  My forehead was frozen.  I was sure my brain was freezing.  At the turn-a-round in Salisbury the wind was at my back and I felt better.  The only problem was that my fingers were beyond return.  It would take an hour once I got back for my fingers to feel better.